The President’s page 2018/2
Tay Peng Hian, AMN, President, FIP
I am very happy to report to all member federations on the Board’s activities for the first half of 2018.
FIP Board meetings:
- The FIP board held its 115th Board meeting in Brisbane on February 10, 2018 and had the opportunity to meet and have a fruitful discussion with the executives of the Australian Philatelic Federation on February 11, 2018.
- The FIP Board was then invited by the Union of Bulgarian Philatelists to hold its 116th Board meeting in Bulgaria on April 16, 2018, in celebration of its 80 years of FIP membership of Bulgaria. The new judging criteria for Open Philately was approved. The Board also had the opportunity, on April 15, 2018, to meet the representatives of the federations of Bulgaria, Croatia, Montenegro, Romania, Russia, Serbia and Turkey - to listen to their feedback and find out how FIP could help our member federations.
- At the 117th FIP Board meeting in Jerusalem on June 1, 2018 the FIP Board also approved a new FIP Sponsorship scheme for FIP member federations organising regional exhibitions in 2018 – 2019. The criteria to fulfil for this sponsorship can be found in detail in this FLASH issue and on the FIP website. This shall be a trial program and the Board shall assess how beneficial it would be for member federations and how to make it better. The FIP regulations and guidelines for Picture Postcards was approved and shall be sent to all member federations for their comments.
FIP Jury Academy:
- Training the Trainers – a 2-day training session was successfully conducted by Lars Engelbrecht for the Jury Academy trainers in Malmo from April 10 -11, 2018, observed by FIP Vice-President Bernie Beston.
- The intensive 3-day FIP Jury Academy had been conducted very successfully from May 24 – 26 in Jerusalem and I would like to express our appreciation to the two trainers Lars Engelbrecht and Lars Peter Svendsen, for their hard work in preparing for and conducting the FIP Jury Academy. A total of 14 FIP accredited jurors participated in and graduated from this course. All the trainers and participants each received a certificate of participation and a new FIP Jury Fellow Pin – exclusively only given jurors who had attended this programme.
ISRAEL 2018 FIP World Stamp Championship exhibition under FIP Patronage was held from May 27 – 31, 2018, in Jerusalem. More detailed breakdown of scores after judging were also provided for Commissioners and this shall be done for future FIP Patronage exhibitions. On behalf of the FIP Board, I would like to congratulate the organizing committee for their success in holding a very well-received exhibition.
Coming up in the latter half of 2018, there shall be two more exhibitions under FIP Patronage, namely the PRAGA 2018 Specialized World Stamp Exhibition (August 15 – 18) and THAILAND 2018 General World Stamp Exhibition (November 28 – December 3), during which the 75th FIP Congress shall also be held, in Bangkok, on December 2. We are also very much looking forward to the second round of the FIP Jury Academy training to be held in Bangkok from December 4 – 6, 2018, right after the exhibition.
It is certainly going to be a very exciting and fulfilling year ahead, made possible by the great teamwork of the current FIP Board, as well as involvement of members, Commissions and Associate Members of the entire FIP family. I wish all friends the very best and I am looking forward to meeting you in Prague and Bangkok soon.